About Me

Welcome to my passion for beads. I first discovered the beauty of beads while in Vancouver's Gastown in B.C. when I was 10 years old. I have been exploring jewelry making for 35 years now. I have been creating and selling my work for 25 years now with the support of my husband and daughter. ( A big thanks to them)The last 5 years I have sold hundres of pairs of earings and other decorative pieces in Edmonton full time. I get inspiration from nature around and work with natural stones and glass beads. I have taken silversmithing courses and glass bead making as well. I have been teaching jewelry making to others and find all these rewarding.

New Beginings

I have avoided computers long enough. Now it is time to get with it. For 5 years, I have been slugging it out selling at markets every week. Hauling my product in suitcases with wheels, and setting up and taking down each time.
I do love what I do or I guess I would have quit long ago. It is a hard way to make an income from something I'm so passionate about. I have become know by many in Edmonton as the Earing Lady. Now they are my repeat customers, for that I'm very grateful. So thanks to all those ladies who for the last 5 years keep me going with all your encouragement!!!!
But it is time to add a new dimension to my business and of course a new challange. So hang in there with me as I figure out all this tech stuff, it is a far cry from paper, paint, sketching tools and plyers. I will soon have more recent picturesand information about beads and jewelry making .

Beads from Japan

Beads from Japan

The World of Markets

In Alberta, Farmers Markets are a big part of life. People sell home grown veggies and fruits. Handmade crafts and even the worlds best honey. For 5 years I have been selling at different markets in and around the city. If you ever think you want to be in business for yourself and you don't know where to start, these markets are great. I learnt how to market and display my product. Pricing and packaging are always relavent to areas you market to. Some communities are very green and paper bags are more apprieciated that plastic. It seems like such a little thing but it is part of the big picture.
When you only have a table 2ft x 8 ft you have to make the best of it. I have all my earings in trays to maximize space and minimize set up and take down. I see people haul big heavy and bulky diplays that take an hour to put up. When you do 2 markets a week that can get to be a drag. Keep it simple and clean. I change my diplay often to keep it interesting. Rotate product often. Dont keep putting the same thing out week after week. People loose interest. I make new stock every week and take some of the items from the previous week off the table. Try different things and have fun while you are doing it!!!!

Table at the market

Table at the market

Table at the market

Table at the market

The Beauty of Silver

What is it about silver that is so attractive? If you have ever worked with silver you may recall how it just looks like a piece of metal. Boring and scratched up. But once it is cut into shape, filed and buffed it has a shine that is captivating. It is also a long labouruos proceedure.



I was fourtunate to have a teacher in High school in Kamloops B.C. who taught silver smithing. Grade 11 and 12, I made several pieces and some I still have. Silver has always been my favorite metal, but like any art form it has to be mastered. In Edmonton I have taken more classes and hope to one day have the time to continue with silversmithing. For the time being I will play with wire and ready made pieces and incorporate them with beads. I think it enhances the beauty of beads, and adds a little class.





Holwlite and sterling silver

Holwlite and sterling silver

Sodalite and sterling silver

Sodalite and sterling silver

Coral and sterling silver

Sterling silver and glass

sterling silver and howlite

Thursday, June 10, 2010

My daughter and I are working on Art Journals together. It has been fun so far and Im exercising my old tequniqes I learned many years ago in high school. It has reminded me how to look at the world around me differently. I started taking my camera places and taking pictures of things I think are unique and inspiring.

1 comment:

  1. That's so cool! I have an art journal too, but I use it to store all my templates and list the instructions for my crafts. Give me a place to list things, and I'll be happy! LOL!

    ReplyDelete